Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Featuring CGF's Beef Cubes
So it's getting to be that time of year when we get in from a long day of harvesting corn or soybeans in chilly weather conditions and we just want to take a hot shower and enjoy a warm feel good meal. This meal was inspired by that and I know that my husband, Wes, really enjoys grabbing a big bowl of something warm to cozy up with when he gets in from working.
We have the luxury of being able to process our own animals and get all of the cuts of the animals back to us so I like to be able to have recipes ready for all of it. In this particular recipe, I featured our beef cubes which I believe are from the chuck part of the animal. They become the most tender little tips of beef in the instant pot and make this recipe really shine!
Traditionally, beef bourguignon has bacon in it but I didn't have any thawed out and I don't think that took away from it at all. I also pride myself on always using fresh herbs over dried but you may use dried if that's all you have. I keep an herb garden on our deck and it is in a corner where it is shielded from wind and we have had great success with having herbs all winter.
This recipe was inspired by Creme de La Crumb with my own twist on it.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon featuring Chesapeake Gold Farm's Beef Cubes
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Two packs of CGF Beef Cubes
- 1 Cup of red wine (I used Cab Sav)
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce( I used Prego marinara because I was out of straight tomato sauce)
- 1 crushed beef bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 bag of baby carrots
- 1 Chopped large white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (3 tsp if dried)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced ( I used white buttons but this would be equally delicious with baby bellas or something more meaty and exotic)
- Salt and Pepper to taste ( i pinched probably twice on salt and once in my pepper bowl)
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley
Serve ladled over top mashed potatoes
- Turn Instant Pot on and push Saute setting
- Add oil and then once heated up add beef cubes. Turning so that they are browned on all sides. This will be about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove beef to another bowl and set aside
- Add red wine and let simmer for about 5 minutes. This is to cook off the alcohol and just leave the flavor of the wine.
- After 5 minutes, add beef broth, tomato sauce, and bouillon. Whisk all together.
- Add in flour while whisking until fully dissolved.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, thyme, mushrooms, beef, and salt and pepper.
- Switch instant pot setting to manual. Close and seal Instant Pot lid. Then set the timer to 25 minutes. I chose 25 minutes because rule of thumb is 15 minutes per lb of meat. My two packs of beef cubes were not quite two pounds and remember that cut up meat will cook faster than a roast.
- Once time is up, I moved the valve to relieve pressure. After pressure is released, you can safely remove your lid.
- The mixture was not super thick but it was perfect gravy consistency for pouring over mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve and Enjoy!